Material Things is a locally owned Fabric and Decorative Arts Design Studio. We’ve been serving the Aiken and CSRA markets since 1992. We specialize in a curated selection of direct from the mill fabrics by the bolt, custom drapery and bedding, quality upholstered custom furniture and an eclectic mix of accessories, supplies, and occasional furniture.
We believe that our reputation for customer service is our greatest asset and all of our friendly designers and decorators are dedicated to helping you achieve the home of your dreams!
Our studio is located in a cottage#downonPark in Aiken, SC. This newly energized section of downtown Aiken is a fun place to create everyday.
We are open by appointment and To the Trade every Monday – Wednesday from 10am – 4pm. We have Open Studio hours every Thursday and Friday from 10-4 for our retail customers for free design assistance, first dibs on new accessories and decorative arts destined for our antique mall booth in Greenville, and working with you on your drapery, bedding, and upholstery projects. Come shop with us during Open Studio days. Watch our Facebook page or sign up for our emails to learn about Special Events.
The retail world of design has changed so much through the years, just like everything else. For 24 years, we operated Material Things as a retail fabric and design store. We stocked 100s of bolts of fabrics, furniture, accessories, and art. We kept a staff available to help you turn your ideas into beautiful finished products. Then, the internet took over the world. Our customers became overwhelmed with all the sources, products, and ideas they were inundated with every day. They became more picky about what they wanted and much more diverse. Most of our sales were special orders and everyone wanted a designer to spend dedicated time on their plan and implementing it. Retail became a side line to our Design offerings.
Give us a call to discuss your design project. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish and we will help you find the right designer among our talented staff.
- Our rates are extremely affordable.
- We demand high quality standards from our workrooms that we have been working with for 24 years.
- We look at ourselves as a Partner with our Commercial business clients and help them reflect their brand without breaking the bank.
- We can help you design a house from scratch, get a handle on a remodel project, or a general spruce up.
- We still offer direct from the mill pricing on a curated collection of fabrics.
- We have sources for the least expensive to the most exquisite fabrics.
- Lighting is a key component to a room and we have wonderful sources from traditional to contemporary and edgy.
- We offer quality 8-way hand tied, Made in America, custom upholstery from some of the best furniture lines. We help you decide whether to re-upholster or buy new.
- We work closely with other local businesses to source products that we can’t find for you.